8 (or 12 if making bars instead of pie)
This rich and creamy pie is free from refined sugars and fats and soooo good. It gets its “sweet” from dates and it really satisfies the craving for dessert. It is hard to believe that this is a vegan recipe but what’s more, it is gluten free and soy free too! I use a simple graham cracker or gluten free granola crust.
1. Blend cashews with 2 cups of water until smooth.
2. Add remaining pie filling ingredients except water, pecans, and carob, and blend until very smooth and creamy. Pour mixture into a saucepan.
3. Put last cup of water into the blender and blend. (This step cleans out your blender, and you don’t end up wasting any of the yummy pie filling!) Pour into saucepan with the first blended mixture and cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
4. Pour into pre-baked pie crust. (Easy Pie Crust (P?) works the best. Chill until filling is set.
5. When ready to serve, sprinkle with toasted pecans and carob chips or carob curls.
TIP: To serve lots of people, you can make this into bars by pressing the crust into a 9 x 13 pan instead of a pie plate.
TIP: If you don’t have cashews or have a nut allergy, leave out the cashews and replace 1 cup of water with 1 cup of soy creamer.
From Give Them Something Better by Stephanie Howard. Used by permission.
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1 1/2 cups dates, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp butterscotch flavoring
- 4 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (optional, if you have a real sweet tooth!)
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup carob chips, barley malt sweetened, or dairy free chocolate chips